Algologia 2018, 28(3): 255–269https://doi.org/10.15407/alg28.03.255
Ecology, Cenology, Conservation of Algae and Their Role in Nature
Indices of the basiphyte–epiphyte algosystem as indicators of the ecological status of marine coastal ecosystemsKalashnik E.S.
- Institute of Marine Biology, NAS of Ukraine,
- 37 Pushkinskaya Str., Odessa 65011, Ukraine
New indicators for assessing the ecological state of coastal marine ecosystems on the basis of the basiphyte-epiphyte algosystem (BEAS) are proposed. They include the index of coverage of the basiphyte by epiphytes (Pb/e, %) and the index of the ratio of the basiphyte and epiphyte surface (SIb/SIe, units). The results of long-term observations on benthic algae in the NW Black Sea bays (Odessa, Yagorlyksky, and Tendrovsky) and estuaries (Tiligul, Maly Adzhalyk, and Hadzhibeevsky) with different anthropogenic loads were analyzed. Data from BEAS indices were used to develop the indicators (adapted to the requirements of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive) for assessing the ecological status class of marine coastal ecosystems of northwestern part of the Black Sea (NWBS). Scales have been developed and the boundaries of five categories of ecological status classes (high, good, moderate, poor, and bad) have been defined for use in monitoring the aquatic ecosystems of the Ukrainian Black Sea sector. The modern ecological status classes of water bodies of the NWBS, characterized by different anthropogenic load, were established. As a result of the assessment of the ecological state of marine and estuarine water objects of the NWBS using BEAS indices, Yagorlytsky and Tendrovsky bays were found to have reference conditions for NWBS. They were proposed as references for comparison with other water objects of the region.
Keywords: basiphyte–epiphyte algosystem, indicators, EU water directives, status class, northwestern part of the Black Sea
Full text: PDF (Rus) 396K
- Afanasyev D.F., Kamnev A.N., Sushkova E.G., Steinhagen S. Ecological physiology of aquatic phototrophic organisms. Field determinant of algal genus Ulva of the Black, Azov, Caspian seas and the Eastern Baltic. Ed. I.P. Ermakova. Moscow: Perot Publ., 2016. 51 p. [Rus.]
- Afanasyev S.A. Hydrobiol. J. 2001. 37(5): 3–18. [Rus.]
- Algae of Ukraine: diversity, nomenclature, taxonomy, ecology and geography. Eds P. Tsarenko, S. Wasser, E. Nevo. Ruggell: Gantner Verlag, 2006. Vol. 1. 713 p.; 2009. Vol. 2. 413 p.; 2011. Vol. 3. 510 p.
- Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a framework for the Community action in the field of water policy, 23 Oct. 2000 (WFD, 2000/60/EC).
- Directive 2008/56/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a framework for Community action in the field of marine environmental policy, 17 June 2008 (MSFD, 2008/56/EC).
- Diversity of algae in Ukraine. S.P. Wasser, P.M. Tsarenko (Eds). Algologia. 2000. 10(4): 1–309. [Rus.]
- Dotsenko S.A., Adobovsky V.V., Mikhalechko Yu.E. Long-term variability of temperature and salinity of water in the Odessa Region of the northwestern part of the Black Sea. In: Ecological safety of coastal and shelf zones and integrated use of shelf resources. Sevastopol, 2002. Pp. 58–64. [Rus.]
- GuiryM.D., Guiry G.M. AlgaeBase. Worldwide electronic publication. Galway: Nat. Univ. Ireland, 2017. http://www.algaebase.org (search 06.12.2017)
- Guslakov N.E. Microphytobenthos. In: Guide to methods of biological analysis of sea water and bottom sediments. Leningrad: Gidrometeoizdat, 1980. Pp. 166–170. [Rus.]
- Guslakov N.E., Zakordonets O.A., Gerasimiuk V.P. Atlas of diatoms of benthos of the north-western part of the Black Sea and adjoining reservoirs. Kiev: Naukova Dumka Press, 1992. 109 p. [Rus.]
- Kalashnik E.S. Principles for calculating the surface indices of the epiphytic component of the basophyte–epiphyte algosystem. In: Materials of the VIII Inter. scientific and practical work conference. Sevastopol, 2013. Pp. 67–69. [Rus.]
- Kalugina-Gutnik A.A. Phytobenthos of the Black Sea. Kiev: Naukova Dumka Press, 1975. 248 c. [Rus.]
- Kosinskaya E.K. Identification manual of marine blue-green algae. Moscow; Leningrad: AN SSSR Press, 1948. 278 p. [Rus.]
- Makarevich T.A. Assessment of the biomass of the epiphyton in different types of macrophytes in the mesotrophic lake. In: The results and prospects of hydrobiological research in Belarus. Minsk,1983. Pp. 123–127. [Rus.]
- Minicheva G.G. Algologia. 1996. 6(3): 250–257. [Rus.]
- Minicheva G.G. Mor. Ecol. J. 2013. 12(3): 5–21.
- Minicheva G.G., Sokolov E.V., Shvets A.V. Nauk. zap. Ternop. nats. ped. un-tu. Ser. Biol. 2016. 67(3–4): 74–84. [Rus.]
- Minicheva G.G., Zotov A.B., Bolshakov V.N., Kalashnik K.S., Marinets G.V., Shvets G.V. Nauk. zap. Ternop. nats. ped. un-tu. Ser. Biol. 2015. 64(3–4): 470–473. [Ukr.]
- Minicheva G.G., Zotov A.B., Kosenko M.N. Methodical recommendations on the morpho-functional indexes defined for unicellular and multicellular forms of aquatic vegetation. In: GEF UNDP Black Sea Ecosystems Recovery Project. Odessa, 2003. 32 p.
- Proshkina-Lavrenko A.I. Diatoms of the Black Sea benthos. Moscow; Leningrad: AN SSSR Publ., 1963. 243 p. [Rus.]
- Shcherbak V.I., Semenyuk N.Ye. Gidrobiol. J., 2011. 47(2): 27–42. [Rus.]
- Shcherbak V.I., Semenyuk N.Ye., Maystrova N.V. Dop. NAN Ukr. 2009. (10): 206–211. [Ukr.]
- Tsarenko P.M. Algologia. 2010. 20(1): 86–121. [Rus.]
- Zinova A.D. Identification manual of green, brown and red algae of the Southern seas of the USSR. Moscow; Leningrad: Nauka Press, 1967. 397 p. [Rus.]
- Zotov A.B. Gidrobiol. J., 2016. 52(2): 3–14. [Rus.]