Algologia 2019, 29(4): 440–445https://doi.org/10.15407/alg29.04.440
Ecology, Cenology, Conservation of Algae and Their Role in Nature
Daily dynamics of photosynthesis, respiration and production of Fucus vesiculosus L. in the Barents SeaStepanyan O.V.
- Federal Research Centre the Southern Scientific Centre of the RAS,
- 41 Chekhov Str., Rostov-on-Don 344006, Russia
The diurnal dynamics of photosynthesis, respiration, and production of brown alga Fucus vesiculosus abundantly occurring in the littoral of the southern part of the Barents Sea, was studied. Materials for the study were collected in August 2002, July 2011, and April 2013 at a biological station located in Zelenetskaya Bay of the Barents Sea. Small (2–3 cm long) fouling-free thalli without epiphytes and invertebrates were selected for research. It was shown that the dynamics of photosynthesis and respiration of algae during the day depends on illumination (the amount of photosynthetically active radiation). The maximum values of illumination (1.56 mg O2/g•h) and respiration (1.39 mg O2/g•h) were noted in the summer. The maximum daily production was observed in April (0.24 mg C/g•h) and August (0.44 mg C/g•h).
Keywords: Fucus vesiculosus, Barents Sea, photosynthesis, respiration
Full text: PDF (Rus) 278K
- Berger V.Y. 2009. Production of fucoid brown algae Ascophyllum nodosum and Fucus vesiculosus in the White Sea. Rus. J. Mar. Biol. 35(5): 413–415. https://doi.org/10.1134/S106307400905006X
- Bykov O.D. 2003. Photosynthesis and dark CO2 fixation of littoral macroalgae of the Barents Sea under polar night conditions. Bot. J. 88(12): 68–73.
- Figueroa F.L., Salles S., Aguilera J., Jiménez C., Mercado J., Viñegla B., Flores-Moya A., Altamirano M. 1997. Effects of solar radiation on photoinhibition and pigmentation in the red alga Porphyra leucosticta. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 151: 81–90. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps151081
- Hanelt D. 1996. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis in marine macroalgae. Sci. Mar. 60(1): 243–248.
- Huppertz K., Hanelt D., Nultsch W. 1990. Photoinhibition of photosynthesis in the marine alga Fucus serratus as studied in field experiments. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 66: 175–180. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps066175
- Kuznetsov L.L., Shoshina E.V. 2003. Phytocenoses of the Barents Sea (physiological and structural characteristics). Apatity: KNS RAS. 308 p. [Rus.]
- Makarov M.V., Voskoboynikov G.M. 2017. Influence of light and temperature on macroalgae of the Barents Sea. Quest. Modern Algol. 3(15). http://algology.ru/1183. [accessed 17.12.2017]
- Makarov M.V., Ryzhik I.V., Voskoboynikov G.M. 2012. The influence of depth of cultivation on the morphological and functional indicators of Fucus vesiculosus L. in the Barents Sea. Algologia. 22(4): 345–360.
- Makarov M.V., Ryzhik I.V., Voskoboynikov G.M., Matishov G.G. 2006. Differentiation of Laminaria saccharina (L.) Lamour. plate as an adaptation to prolonged lack of illumination. Rep. Acad. Sci. 409(2): 710–711. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0012496606040211
- Stepanyan O.V. 2008. Influence of crude oil on the main functional parameters of macroalgae of the Barents Sea. Rus. J. Mar. Biol. 34(2): 131–134. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063074008020077
- Stepanyan O.V. 2014. Effect of oil film on photosynthesis of brown algae of the Barents Sea. Bot. J. 99(10): 1095-1100.
- Stepanyan O.V., Voskoboynikov G.M. 2006. Influence of oil and oil products on morpho-functional features of marine macroalgae. Rus. J. Mar. Biol. 32(4): 32–39. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063074006070042
- Shoshina E.V., Kapkov V.I., Belenikina O.A. 2016. Environmental factors regulating the growth of macroalgae communities in the Arctic Seas. Bull. MGTU. 19(1-2): 334–344. https://doi.org/10.21443/1560-9278-2016-1/2-334-344
- Tikhovskaya Z.P. 1960. The aftereffect of temperature on photosynthesis, respiration and productivity of Fucus vesiculosus L. in the Barents Sea. Bot. J. 45(8): 1147–1160.
- Tropin I.V., Makarov M.V. 2004. Assessment of the photosynthetic apparatus of the Barents Sea fucoids after the polar night. Algologia. 4(4): 393–404. https://doi.org/10.1615/InterJAlgae.v6.i4.40
- Vinberg G.G. 1960. Primary production of reservoirs. Minsk: BSU. 328 p. [Rus.]
- Voskoboynikov G.M., Makarov M.V., Ryzhik I.V. 2006. Changes in the composition of photosynthetic pigments and cell structure in brown algae Fucus vesiculosus L. and F. serratus L. from the Barents Sea during prolonged exposure to darkness. Rus. J. Mar. Biol. 32(1): 20–27. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063074006010032